I know this a bit late but it’s currently raining outside and this cup of tea with Mumford & Sons in the background is inspiring me to write this post.
Although I had some life changing experiences – 2012 was still not my best year. Some may say that it should be due to my travels; however, there were definitely lots of ups and downs but it’s okay, it doesn’t need to be the “best”. I believe that the year of 2013 will be because of the decisions that were made in 2012. I am still learning how to put myself first, to love again, and to be okay to lean on others. Going into the year of 2012, I already felt like I was missing something. I needed a change, wanted to move away, and start a new life. It didn’t happen until the end of August.
When I was young, I was always curious as to what was out there besides the small town that I grew up at (Redlands, CA). Once I was 17, I moved to San Diego and had lived there for 9 years on my own. I was blessed with many friends, a successful career, and a great boyfriend. However, the boyfriend and I of close to 6 years parted ways in the begining of the year and I didn’t truly begin to heal until the end of May. During this time, I was promoted to manager at my company of four years, Bear became a divorce child, my view on life started to change, and I have the best girl friends any girl could ever wish for.
Since I had grew up in a small town, I had loved going on adventures and hoped that one day I can travel the world and explore what it has to offer me. Last year, while I was in my grieving stages, I looked back at to what I would have done differently if the boyfriend was not in the picture. First – I would not have been at my company that I had no passion for. Secondly – I would be more adventurous and travel more.
My last day at work was on August 29th and since then, I have been traveling and bumming it around the globe. To all my friends out there, yes, I told you it’s something that I have always wanted to do; however, going on these adventures is helping me to not be afraid, to love again, and to be okay to lean on others.
Although 2012 was not my best year, I can say that I at least did my best to be open minded and to be more adventurous.
Here’s a recap as to what I did each month of 2012 through pictures. Enjoy:
* Joined a Co-ed Flag Football Team
* Went to Vail, Co
* PINK Party Bus – 46 people joined my party bus to go wine tasting at Temecula, cA and 5% of the proceeds went to charity
* Went camping with the siblings in Yucaipa, CA and snowboarded at Bear Mtn
* Bear and I hiked Cowles Mtn in San Diego, CA
* Learned how to sail a boat in San Diego, CA
* Road trip with the sister from San Diego to San Francisco along the HWY 101 – stopped at Santa Barbara, Carmel, Santa Cruz, Davis, and San Francisco #1
* Went to Costa Rica – Raft on a river at level 3/4, hiked a volcano and entered it’s lagoon, water slide into hot springs, strapped on for bungee jump and was chickened to jump, and walked the beached at Manuel Antonio National Park
* Got promoted to Quality Assurance Manager at my last company in San Diego, CA
* Beverly graduated with her MBA – celebrated with the sisters in Redlands, CA
* Signature jumping pose with the ladies at Laguna Beach, CA
* Girls trip to Palm Springs, CA ❤ my girls Rachel and Jeanne!
* Joined a Co-ed Soccer Team
* Went to the San Diego Wild Animal Zoo with the family
* Sister hosted a beach party at Redondo Beach, CA
* Bestie Bianca visited San Diego and had a Palm Springs getaway
* Bear conquered another hike at Runyan Canyon in Los Angeles, CA
* Celebrated the 4th with my childhood friends Sundy and Lena in New York, NewYork: Tico Torres, drummer, for Bon Jovi thought we were famous at Catch Restaurant, walking food tour in NY is amazing, and as always, I want to move here one day.
* Camped at Barton Flats at San Bernardino County, CA
* Stayed in Huntington Beach, CA quite a few times on my sister’s couch
* Gave a month notice at work and moved the majority of my things back to my parents house and crashed at a friend’s and slept on an air mattress for a month! Best month ever! ❤ you Rachel!
* First Bachelorette Party – Las Vegas, NV #1
* First Dallas Cowboys Game – San Diego, CA – Owner of Green Flash Brewery hosted us
* My going away girl’s trip in Las Vegas, NV #2 – saw Rusko live, showed British boys what In N’ Out was, and it was the best Vegas trip ever.
* San Francisco, CA #2 – for a wedding and had the best boba ever at Purple Kow! Thanks to my cousin Nancy. Went on my first hornblower and hiked Lands End
* Left my 4 year company behind – an awesome good bye by my co-workers
* Visited my cousin Xuan Mai back east – went to Boston, Rochester, and Cape Cod MA and Rhode Island – made my first Vietnamese dessert – Banh Bo “sponge rice cake” and the best homemade lobster
* Went back to New York #2 and my bestie Bianca joined me: went on a mission to have the best of ____ food, went to my first broadway show, went to a warehouse party, celebrated Beverly’s 25th, had a picnic on a subway, and still want to move to NY!
* Hiked Mt. Baldy, CA – highest elevation for me
* Hiked Aztec Falls, CA
* Had 7 vaccines – ouch
* Went on my first backpacking trip with Beverly – visited Ecuador, Peru, and Bolivia
* Ecuador – CrossFit in Quito, hiked a volcano when it was snowing, reached the top of the glacier and rappelled from it, then mountain biked down the mountain, went to the largest flea market in South America
* Peru – Visited Machu Picchu and went on my first horse back riding
* Bolivia – went to the jungle with 5 other ladies, almost died from the world’s deadliest road, visited the world’s largest salt flat, and saw the largest lake in South America
* Visited Chile, Argentina, Uruguay, and Brazil – had the best ice cream ever in these countries, danced away until 4am with the Brazilians and stayed at a local family, and had the best steak ever, and fell in love with a waterfall.
* Joined an Indoor Rock Climbing Gym
* Bumming it at the parents before I head to New Zealand
* Went to my first NBA Game
* Las Vegas, NV #3
* San Francisco, CA #3 – Celebrated NYE
* Went to San Jose and Napa Valley
This last picture is how I am right now. Relaxed and can’t wait for my next adventure! 30 days until I head to New Zealand.